BE THANKFUL FOR A HEALTHY HOLIDAY THANKSGIVING HEALTH AND SAFETY TIPS FROM THE NEBRASKA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Lincoln—Thanksgiving is a great opportunity to enjoy time with family and friends, celebrate life, to be grateful, and reflect on what’s important. It’s also a time to appreciate the gift of health. Use these tips to keep you and your loved ones happy, healthy and safe throughout the holidays.
Getting an annual flu vaccine is the best way to protect yourself and your family from the flu.
- Everyone 6 months and older should get a flu vaccine every year.
- After you get a flu shot, it takes about two weeks for your body to build immunity.
Handle and prepare food safely.
As you prepare holiday meals, prevent food-related illness.
- Wash hands and surfaces often.
- Avoid cross-contamination by keeping raw meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs away from ready-to-eat foods and eating surfaces.
- Cook foods to the proper temperature.
- Refrigerate promptly. Do not leave perishable foods out for more than two hours.
When you’re traveling, help ensure your trip is safe.
- Don’t drink and drive, and don’t let someone else drink and drive.
- Wear a seat belt every time you drive or ride in a motor vehicle.
- Always buckle your child in the car using a child safety seat, booster seat, or seat belt appropriate for his/her height, weight, and age.
- Drive distraction free, put your phone away.
Eat healthy, and be active.
With balance and moderation, you can enjoy the holidays the healthy way.
- Choose fresh fruit as a festive and sweet substitute for candy.
- Limit fats, salt, and sugary foods.
- Find fun ways to stay active, such as dancing to your favorite holiday music.
- Be active for at least two and a half hours a week.
- Help kids and teens be active for at least an hour a day.
The holidays don’t need to take a toll on your health and pocketbook.
- Keep your commitments and spending in check.
- Balance work, home, and play.
- Get support from family and friends.
- Keep a relaxed and positive outlook.
- Make sure to get proper sleep.